Healthy soils are important for the future of crop production in Europe and healthy crop rotations are a pre-requisite to maintain, improve or restore soil health. Nematodes and soil-borne pathogens are causing a threat to soil health. The decision support tools developed by the EU thematic network Best4Soil help the sustainable control of these threats.
How does it work ?
- Farmer sees strange symptoms in the field
- Takes a soil sample. Soil analysis shows problematic nematodes
- Uses the Best4Soil Decision Support Tool
- Selects the crops and makes an output scheme
- Decides on measures to take
The farmer can take informed decisions for the control of pests & improve soil health
Non-chemical control measures
- Change order of crops
- Replace a susceptible variety with a resistant variety or choose an alternative crop
- Include resistant green manure/cover crops in the rotation
- Grow Tagetes for active control of Pratylenchus penetrans
- Apply anaerobic soil disinfection
- Apply inundation