Biological control of aphids in zucchini
What is it ?
The use of predatory and parasitoid invertebrates to control pest aphids. Aphids can act as vector of multiple devastating virus diseases in cucurbits.
- IPMWorks vegetable hub in Belgium with focus on zucchini
- Demonstrated from grower to grower (peer-2-peer learning)
- Enclosed cultivation in polytunnels
Good alternative control measure for the cropping system – Why?
- The biocontrol agents do not harm bees and bumblebees which pollinate the zucchini flowers
- Scalable and flexible system – range of biocontrol agents
By using biological control agents, the grower protect his crop without the use of insecticides. This also safeguards the pollinators used to pollinate the zucchini flowers in order to produce the fruits.
This technique adheres to the following principles of Integrated pest management according to Directive 2009/128/EC:
Principle 2: Harmful organisms must be monitored by adequate methods and tools, where available.
Principle 4: Sustainable biological, physical and other non-chemical methods must be preferred to chemical methods if they provide satisfactory pest control.
Principle 8: Based on the records on the use of pesticides and on the monitoring of harmful organisms the professional user should check the success of the applied plant protection measures.